Saturday, May 11, 2013

Yo, It's Cool Guys



Well, that’s just about enough of that.

As some of you know, I’ve been in a rambling, depressing, self-centered slump recently, culminating with this gem from late Thursday night. It’s not a good look.

I never get that down for no apparent reason. I don’t like it. It sucks. I get anxious over things I can’t control and stop handling the things I can. It’s way better when I feel the way I do 95 percent of the time.

Now, just two days later, I feel better and clear-headed. I’m ready to rock. I’m going to go wrestle a bear for a while just to burn off some excess energy.

How do you work your way out of a funk like that? Everyone does it differently. Here’s what I did that worked for me, though:

1. Get it all out of your system
It could come in the form of screaming, pouting, punching something, or writing a moping 1,000-word blog entry. Give yourself one day.

2. Get physical
Our esteemed co-blogger recommended yoga, amongst other things, but even just going for a run or doing a couple sets of push-ups can get your blood flowing and your body moving again. I went for a run through my neighborhood and up by the Newark Reservoir, and I felt great.
There’s also this, if you feel like breaking a couple bones in the process. (Hospital bills will definitely take your mind off whatever other anchors weigh down your mind)

3. Lean on your friends
The worst part of the blues is feeling alone. It’s hard enough being trapped inside your head without feeling like there’s no other outlets for you to bounce ideas off of, vent, etc. Particularly if you’re depressed about something that’s going on with one of your friends, or your significant other, it’s important to be able to fall back on some of your other friends.
Personally, I had friends I live with, friends I could text and friends I was going to be seeing anyway this weekend. But if you don’t have plans, make some. If you don’t have friends, find some. At the very least, it will get your mind off things for a few hours. Talking with friends is big. Seeing them is bigger.

4. Do something, anything, that you love
Unless you happen to love, say, beating hookers with baseball bats or robbing liquor stores. I played an acoustic show last night at Chaplin’s in Spring City, and it was a total blast. Maybe it’s grilling, maybe it’s golfing, maybe it’s watching NCIS marathons, but do something to get good vibes going again.

5. Listen to music
And not depressing stuff. .If you must listen to depressing music (which I know I’ve had to), do it on your “get it out of your system” day.

Then, listen to this song. I never thought I'd find inspiration from Psychostick, but it was the kick in the ass I needed, and the kick in the ass you need. (Thanks Tim B)

Lastly, get back to listening to good, upbeat stuff. Easy enough.

 In short, here was how my mind went over the last few days:

1. “Woe is me, my life has become an empty sinkhole and I don’t know how to fill it.”
2. “Hey, life isn’t so bad. I’ve got plenty of things going for me and some great friends and family.”
3. “What the hell am I complaining so much for? I’m a narcissistic prick for feeling like that. I'm good, guys!”

And lastly, a thing you shouldn’t do:

Drink
This seems quite hypocritical coming from someone who places this song just ahead of the national anthem, but don’t go crazy. I mean, go ahead and have a drink if that’s your thing, but alcohol tends to be a mood enhancer rather than a mood swinger, at least for me. Just like some good times can be made better with a touch of Yeungling, bad times can be made worse by slamming Wild Turkey all night.

The crux of this story is…sorry for all the miserable stuff I’ve been writing, and thanks to those who helped me out. Time to get back to beeez-nas. I'll be back to scribbling out some of my more typical nonsense next week.

Happy early mom's day.

-Matt

3 comments:

  1. Another thing that helps me is to listen to my "Happy" playlist. I add songs to my 'Happy' list every time I hear something that pleases me for some reason. When I am feeling particularly low, it really helps to listen (or call my son and cry on his shoulder). I also have two good shoulders, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, these always make me happy:
    http://www.cuteaholic.com/puppies/golden-retriever-loves-guitar/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVebMKT3uDs

    ReplyDelete